Summer is drawing to an end, and as much as I love and anticipate fall, I will miss the refreshing, crisp bites of summer fruits and veggies. To send em off properly, we decided to make what has become one of my favorite salads, which incorporates some of summer’s all stars: creamy avocado, fresh tomatoes, sweet corn, and a citrus-y lime dressing. This salad is great as a side, or hearty enough to stand alone as an entree thanks to the addition of bacon and feta.
I love that a lot of the “work” in this dish is chopping, making it easy to prep a lot of it ahead of time if you are having guests. You can cook and crumble your bacon, grill and de-cob (making words up as we go here) your corn, make your dressing, and get the tedious tomato-cutting behind you. It may be slightly time consuming, but the “chopped” factor means that you get a little bit of everything in each forkful, making for a crunchy, crisp bite of goodness every time.
I put the salad together right before serving so it doesn’t get too soggy. I like to toss the lettuce with the lime dressing before adding all the toppings so that all the leaves get a little coating.
If you’re like me, you look at recipes and try to figure out how you can better-faster-cheaper it up. Go for it, but if you’re tempted to skip grilling fresh corn, you are cheating yourself. The char of that summer corn is So.Good.
BLT Chopped Salad
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped
- Up to 2 pints of cherry or grape tomatoes (I use about 3/4 a pint each of NatureSweet Sunburst and Cherubs, I like the sweetness of the yellow guys), quartered
- Bacon. Depending on what cut you use and how much shrinking you have going on, this could be anywhere from 4-8 pieces
- 3 ears of fresh corn
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 5 oz container of crumbled feta or 5 oz of mild goat cheese
- Juice of 4 limes
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- About a teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground pepper (season to taste)
- Cook bacon until very crisp, drain on paper towel until cool, crumble and set aside.
- Shuck corn and grill over medium direct heat approx 25 minutes, or until slightly charred. Turn frequently.
- To make dressing, combine lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I like to put it in a mason jar so you can give it a good shake, but you can also combine in a bowl with some aggressive whisking.
- In a large bowl just before serving , drizzle chopped lettuce with dressing. Add tomatoes, bacon, corn, avocados, and cheese, stir gently to combine.
- Dish out to your favorite people and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is